November 3, 2010

It's showtime!

If I lived closer to my parents, I would be raiding their VHS home movie collection right now.
Here is a sample of what might be in it:

1. Two-contestant pageants, each with a "sponsor". Yes, my sister Holly and I would split the two younger sisters, dress them up, teach them a talent and ask them questions about the world. All over the microphone hooked up to the boombox and a Christmas lights runway.

2. A scary movie about what happened one time when Mom and Dad left us alone at the house... I'm pretty sure the girls killed me in that one, but who knows?

3. Birthday parties where we sing the Happy Birthday song as slow as possible, but not on purpose. It took Anthony's attendance and musical ear to let us know that something was definitely off with the tempo.

Annnnnddddd.....

4. A Fourth of July musical celebration, complete with a marching band (me on clarinet and Holly on trumpet), flag girl (Rebecca) and drum major (Cassandra). Oh boy. It was ambitious.

What got me thinking about my love for puttin' on a show is that I have been offered a loaner oboe (eeeee!!!!!) and the chance to get back into community musical performance, and I am very tempted to at least try. It's been five years since I touched an oboe and I have no doubt that I would have to rebuild all of my facial muscles to get back to the playing point, but it's an exciting proposition. There is just something about playing music with a group.

P.S. I met Anthony in high school through marching band. He was a total Nazi about it and I thought he was cute.

No comments:

Post a Comment