November 7, 2011

Pilgrims and Indians - Philippians 4

Thanksgiving is only two weeks away! I am so excited to see Emmy crawling around with both sets of grandparents, begging bites of pumpkin pie and doing strangled turkey impressions as I try to put her down for a nap while everyone else is awake. Okay, maybe not so excited about that last one.

As I was reading the last chapter in Philippians for Abigail's blogging bible study, I started to see themes of thankfulness, contentment and gratitude -- the same sentiments we celebrate in the U.S. on Thanksgiving -- in Paul's final thoughts. Check it out...

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. Then you will experience God's peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus. (4:6-7)

How I praise the Lord that you are concerned about me again. I know you have always been concerned for me, but you didn't have the chance to help me. Not that I was ever in need, for I have learned how to be content with whatever I have. I know how to live on almost nothing or with everything. I have learned the secret of living in every situation, whether it is with a full stomach or empty, with plenty or little. (4:10-12)

At the moment I have all I need—and more! I am generously supplied with the gifts you sent me with Epaphroditus. They are a sweet-smelling sacrifice that is acceptable and pleasing to God.  And this same God who takes care of me will supply all your needs from his glorious riches, which have been given to us in Christ Jesus. (4:18-19)

{bold emphasis mine}

As I meditate on and absorb Paul's attitude about material things and God's constant provision, it makes me wish that supermarkets and department stores didn't skip straight from Halloween to Christmas. Because it's less commercial than the other holidays, they miss out on a heartwarming celebration that gives us ample opportunity to reflect on all that we have. I will remember to stop, slow down and be thankful this autumn. Maybe rereading the book of Philippians on Thanksgiving Day can be a part of my personal celebration?

One last thing to chew on: Paul didn't have it easy. 2 Corinthians 11 details all that he suffered. And yet, he gentle, ever so gently, reminds the Philippians to give thanks and be content. Let's listen and understand this.

Selah.
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment