August 5, 2009

It's been a short summer.

After May, June and July of what-ifs and "when we get there", I'm packing up our small house into large cardboard boxes.

Anthony and I have decided to strike out on our own (with Uncle Sam in tow) in search of adventure. As I write this, he is halfway through Army Officer Candidate School (OCS) in Ft. Benning, GA, and I am planning on starting my graduate studies this fall. Although we are not yet sure where in the world we will be in the next few weeks and months to come, it's exciting and yes, a little scary, to leave Tallahassee and go wherever God calls us.

For almost the last three years, this college town has been our home. We were engaged and married here. I was inspired by the faculty at FSU to love learning. Saturday football was either the depths of despair or burning-towels-in-the-street kind of celebration..... that really happened. Our home bible study brought new friends into our life. What I am trying to say is that we'll miss this town and everyone in it. Right now, though, it's just the right time to go. I might get a little misty-eyed driving away, but am listening to that voice deep inside saying "LET'S DO THIS!".

On a different note, in between packing, work and long conversations with our bulldog Petey, I've been reading '80s literature on sewing. ('80s because that's the most recent that the library had.) Last night I chopped up a few closet favorites and made new creations of them. Upcycling is a genius concept if executed properly, and I hope to master the art of reuse without looking like a ragamuffin. Also, my family brought some vanilla red rooibos tea back from Colorado and I am most grateful. It's like a church potluck casserole - creamy, rich and making me want more. It tastes good.

In two days, we find out what Anthony will "branch" -- what his job will be in the Army for the next few years. Stay tuned....

3 comments:

  1. i'm so happy you've started a blog... i hope you stick with it and make me feel all your inner emotions :)
    1. i can't believe your time is nearing an end! its the end of summer... what?!
    2. i'll miss you more than you know!
    3. i love crafty melissa :)
    4. yes, i remember buring a towel on sharkey and acting like idiots
    5. "....these are the best days of our lives"....right?

    6,7,8,9,10. i love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am gonna stick with it!
    And I'm glad your 6-10 emotions were loving me.
    I love you too, emotion girl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I read about your love for Spanish poetry, I must insist you go to Colorado and meet Tia Pina and Tia Helen. It is where romantic poetry meets hard reality. After you spend some time with them you should write.

    ReplyDelete