June 1, 2011

Boob Tube

Why is television called that? I get that the "tube" part = old-school electronic parts. Is the "boob" part an insult to the average viewer? Did I just answer my question?

I am happy to report that breastfeeding is going well. (Roll with me here, for a minute, it's relevant!) Emmy is in the 100th percentile for weight for her age group. She's got her daddy's length and her momma's chunk. I don't know what I'm going to do if that girl has curves AND long legs. Anyway... more time with the Boppy and a thirsty baby on the couch has unfortunately led to more TV time. Emmy doesn't yet get my running commentary on the shows, so I wanted to make a few points here about what I've been watching lately.

The Event -  Anthony and I were enticed by this NBC drama solely by the fact that its creator (J.J. Abrams) was the mind behind LOST. Many a Tuesday night we have spent catching up on the political/social/relationship drama on OnDemand. Although one or two plot holes and a tendency toward the impossibly optimistic plot line reveal the show's infancy, it was strong enough to keep me guessing and cheering on a Palmer-like president. The villains are bad in a new way (the main antagonist is a mother figure), and the heroes are good in the same way that comfort food is. They are familiar. So, do you want to watch it now? TOO BAD, because NBC has fated it to go the way of the buffalo. And honestly, I don't want anything other network (except maybe ABC) to pick it up. It just wouldn't work.

Real Housewives of Orange County - The entire Housewives franchise on Bravo has long been a guilty pleasure, one I admit to my girlfriends, deny to my husband and need to just give up! However, I've followed one woman, Vicki, on this show for several seasons and honestly wish that I could've given her marriage advice. She is a mother, workaholic professional, loves the good life, and now considers her husband as a "roommate". Vicki was once in love with Donn and the reality series has painfully recorded their marital struggles, from dealing with external problems like a failing economy, to internal cracks in the foundation. Vicki spends too much time at work. Donn makes hurtful comments about Vicki's personality.

What saddened me the most was to see Vicki admit to a girlfriend that she wanted a "biblical man" -- a godly husband. Though slick editing prevails and we only see one side of the story, it was obvious that Donn had given up. He was content to be emotionally and physically detached from his wife. Now they are entering into divorce proceedings and both have moved past the point of trying. Very sad indeed, and I would have presumptuously told Vicki to only work part-time, downsize into a smaller home and do whatever she had to to restore the joy that her marriage once held for her. In the end, though, it takes two to tango.

Saturday Night Live - Though the writing for this long-running series has, as of late, been lame at its worst, hilarious at its best and amusing on the average, the current cast is phenomenal. Kristen Wiig is awesome. My favorite new character is an NYC nightlife expert named "Stefan" who is featured on Weekend Update with Seth Meyer. Bill Hader plays a weird gay man to the T, and I can't put into words how funny I think he is. Just go youtube "Stefan SNL".

Ummmm.... there should be a conclusion paragraph here. Nah.

No comments:

Post a Comment