July 20, 2011

The Real Wives of the U.S. Army

I used to cringe every time I saw a car plastered with pink Army wife stickers. I used to think that I didn't need to tell people that I was a stay-at-home Army wife because they would assume the worst about me. I used to try not to talk about Army stuff with girlfriends in public places, because surely, someone would hear and think "How naive!". I used to hate going in to Commando's by myself in civilian clothes to return unused gear. I used to read military spouse forums online and roll my eyes at the 18-year-old wives who were missing someone they only knew for a few weeks.

When Anthony and I decided that the Army was where God was calling him/us to be, I was enthusiastic and hesitant about what my life would look like. I didn't know that I would meet so many dear hearts who I now consider close friends and confidantes. I don't care how many Army wife stickers or tshirts they do or don't showcase, whether they talk (loudly!) about their husband's work, or how long they've been with their soldier. They are the women that I love and that I am proud to serve alongside.

The many women that I met two summers ago have since moved to Army posts all over the world. Their husbands have deployed, been in training, and one dear wife's soldier has even given his life for his country. They have made new friends at each stop, looked for jobs, packed many a suitcase and waited patiently. And I am thankful to know them.





No comments:

Post a Comment