October 5, 2011

Intro to Philippians

We're all moved into our new house! That is, to say, all of our worldly goods are smashed into a few rooms and we somehow live in the midst of it. I'm organizing/decorating one room at a time, and it's actually going quite well. I have a million things to do, errands to run, and pictures to post, but I want to carve out a little time for something more important: bible study. My friend Abigail is blogging a bible study through Philippians here, and I want to be faithful to actually STUDY the Bible - to know it back and forth so that its powerful message about Jesus can change me to be more like Him. Too often I find myself just flipping open my Bible to a psalm or a proverb to find a thought that I can hang on to for strength or inspiration for that day. There's nothing wrong with that, and it's a good practice, but I feel convicted to be more disciplined in studying God's Word.

With all that said, please please please join us if you are in the same boat and need to study the Bible!

.....................................

Intro to Philippians

Our first exercise was to read the entire (it's not that big) letter and give our thoughts on the main themes. When I finished reading, I was a little overwhelmed by how new the book felt, even after studying it a few times in the past few years. Mostly though, I couldn't help but feel how personal it was. This was a real live man writing a real live letter to a real live church. Paul really cared for the church at Philippi and it shows.

Rising Above Circumstances

Paul is in jail for preaching the gospel. It's obvious that while in his chains, Paul had a lot on his mind concerning the church at Philippi. He's concerned about their spiritual health, their growth and the way that they live their individual lives. He describes a small bit of God-orchestrated chaos: how other believers in prison are now preaching Christ as well, some insincerely, "intending to make my chains more painful to me" (1:17) but some from pure motives. Either way, the gospel is being spread and Paul uses this example in his life to inspire the Philippians to live boldly -- without fear or shame.

Paul also describes his two fellow "slaves", Timothy and Epaphroditus. They had difficult personal circumstances as well. Even through sickness and loneliness/isolation, they remained faithful to their work (2:19-30). Again, he reminds the Philippians to rise above their circumstances by encouraging them to focus on eternal goals, not earthly "shameful" things (3:17-20).

Encouragement

Have you ever had a difficult day... week... month... and a fifteen minute chat with another believer just lifted your spirit and gave you strength from just their presence? I know a few incredible older women that have this role in my life, and this is who Paul reminds me of in Philippians. The whole book resonates with "may the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ..." and I wish I could've seen the reaction of the church at the end of the audible reading of this letter. I am uplifted by reading the book! It points to Jesus, the cornerstone of our faith, and shows that daily Christian living is made joyful by remembering Him. I especially like how he reminds us/them of God's promise of eternity in 3:21, "He will take our weak mortal bodies and change them into glorious bodies like his own, using the same power with which he will bring everything under his control".


There is SO much in this book! I am excited about breaking it down a little more crayola-style. For now, though, I will meditate on the entirety of the letter and keep it simple:

1) Live for Christ, no matter what the circumstances are (and in my life, can we just call circumstances Army?) 

2) His Word and His promise are our encouragement. He will continue to be with us until we reach eternity.

I hope you get the chance to meditate on any Bible passage this week! Drink of the living water He gives :)

No comments:

Post a Comment