October 24, 2011

Catching Up! (Philippians 1)

Dear me! Not having legitimately-owned internet for the past month has been a little frustrating and more than a little painful on my eyes... cue memory of me trying to pay all of our bills online on my smartphone (rabbit trail: I have phoneaphobia and HATE talking on the phone, especially to strangers. Therefore, trying to do everything online.)

Anyway, here are my thoughts and reflections on chapters 1 of the book of Philippians, as a part of my friend Abigail's blogging bible study.

Chapter 1

There is SO much here. This chapter is made of 30 verses, and most of them are actually pretty short little snippets that all run together into one long howdy/let's catch up/blessings to you intro. I think that this may be Paul's most gentle, loving and tender letter to believers. It's evident just how much he actually loves these people.

In my life, I have friends who have shared serious life experiences with me, and although we may not be in daily contact, I feel affectionate toward them when I think about the memories we share. I want the best for them. I send them emails or text messages saying "I miss you" and "I love you" and "remember when...". This is Paul's attitude for the church in Philippi.

"I thank my God in all my remembrance of you, always offering prayer with joy in my every prayer for you all..." (1:3-4)

"For it is only right for me to feel this way about you all, because I have you in my heart, since both in my imprisonment and in the defense and confirmation of the gospel, you all are partakers of grace with me. For God is my witness, how I long for you all with the affection of Christ Jesus." (1:7-8)

"Convinced of this, I know that I will remain and continue with you all for your progress and joy in the faith, so that your proud confidence in me may abound in Christ Jesus through my coming to you again." (1:25-26)

Can you feel the love tonight? It's there! Paul's heartbeat is for them in the love of Jesus. In the last verse posted above, he even explains to them that although dying would be a favorable option at that point in his life (jailed, persecuted, getting old), he chooses to fight on and live on so that he can help the Philippians come to a more mature faith. The New King James Version of verse 24 says that "to remain in the flesh is more needful for you."

Which has me thinking...

Do I have true affection for believers that I have helped to disciple?

Do I pray for them and ask things of God on their behalf?

Am I willing to sacrifice my desires if needed to see them flourish in the faith?

Do I remember and pray for those imprisoned for the gospel? It's a reality in our world, folks! (Colossians 4:18, Matthew 25:36)

Help me, Lord, to remember these things. And in doing so, may my "conduct be worthy of the gospel of Christ..." (1:27).

No comments:

Post a Comment