February 1, 2012

The Dairy Diaries: Part Two

Ah, here we are again, talking about milk for the sake of milk. My dairy-free diet has not always been easy, and I hope that the following tips and linked recipes can help others who need to drop la leche for whatever reason. Mine was so that I could continue to breastfeed, because my baby is sensitive to dairy (milk proteins) in my breastmilk. If you have any dairy-free recipes, tips or experiences, feel free to share!

Substitute Foods

Silk PureAlmond almond milk - It's so good! Almonds are very high in calcium, and I find the taste of the original flavor (non-sweetened) to be creamy enough to enjoy a glass by itself. Most of the time, though, I use it with my morning cereal. The vanilla flavor is, admittedly, even better, but I try to stay away from unnecessary sugar, and since my cereal or oatmeal is sweet, it's still yummy!

Coconut milk - This has seriously been a lifesaver when it comes to making desserts. Its full-fat version can be whipped into frosting, and even the lite variety has a wonderful thickness when put in smoothies. I've found that it gives a really great flavor to whole grain oatmeal. On days when all I want is some ice cream, I can just stick a can in the fridge for an hour, crack that baby open and drink it over ice with some berries. It is high in fat, but let's call it the good kind without doing research, ok? :)

Earth Balance spread - As a relatively new product, this dairy-free, soy-free spread is easy to find and is flexible for cooking. I use it to saute veggies and to bake cookies and cakes. It consists of a blend of hydrogenated vegetable and seed oils, but is surprisingly buttery in taste. It can be pricey, at around $4 for a medium-sized tub (maybe 16 oz?), but is worth the investment. Winn-Dixie and Publix carry it, but I haven't been able to find it at Wal-Mart, and I cannot remember if the Army commissary keeps it in stock.

Chamomile tea - Weirdly enough, it tastes buttery. To me, at least!

Kale and collard greens - These are sky-rocket high in calcium, so chomp down and keep osteoporosis at bay.

Dark chocolate - Most dark chocolate candies don't have milk or milk products in them, but they are rich and sweet and when melted into almond milk, make for an indulgent late-night drink.

Recipes

Substitute Earth Balance spread for the butter and you'll have a SERIOUS PROBLEM ON YOUR HANDS. As in, you will probably eat this whole cake. But really, it's delicious.


Kale chips. They look weird going in the oven, but they're crunchy and salty and before you know it, you've eaten a whole head of kale in one sitting.

http://smittenkitchen.com/2010/03/baked-kale-chips/


There they are, short and sweet! Our next and final post about my dairy-free experience will be about hidden and unexpected dairy in common foods that we eat. Please post if you have any great recipes or food tips for eating dairy-free!

No comments:

Post a Comment