March 4, 2012

Putting Roots Down

As I'm writing this, I am about 27 hours into Anthony's NTC rotation. I'm not bored at all, although the days are much quieter and much longer. This month brings me a long, self-imposed, and mostly fun to-do list. But who am I kidding? I LOVE lists -- my daily planner is one huge scribble of checks and squiggles and underlined reminders. 

My first project is to work on a victory garden, one of my New Year's Resolutions. As a nod to the Army life we live, it will, with a little bit of work and a watchful eye, provide fresh veggies and herbs for the spring, summer and fall. Original victory gardens were born out of necessity -- families in wartime reverted back to self-sustaining home gardens to free up commercially farmed food for soldiers. Mine is born out of the desire to put down roots in this home that we love.

Because we will move again in just a couple of years, if not sooner, I sometimes feel hesitant to commit to any type of home projects or local activities because we won't always be here. But... this is a bad trap to fall into. As a homemaker, I set the tone for our daily lives and the refuge that we make out of this rental house. Though it is temporary, it is our home. If I neglected loving the moments and the days and this place out of fear, it would be my loss.

So, today I took cups and soil and pretty, shiny little seeds and planted them. They'll stay on the dining room table for just under two weeks, until tiny leaves poke up and they're ready to graduate to a planter box (stay tuned for that DIY project!).

It sounds silly, but I prayed over the seeds, that they would flourish and bring a really big harvest. And one day, I hope to give the food and plants and planter boxes away, because they won't be practical to pack, and will take with me not only a picture of a little garden, but also a memory of a happy harvest.
Were it not for the highchair and soil, this looks like some weird drinking game setup!  


1 comment:

  1. YEAHHH drinking game setup!!! Just kidding. I had no idea that you had this blog. So, instead of going to bed or making flashcards for my A&PII midterm on Friday, I read every single one of your blog posts. And I love them. And I love you too, and your (and mine, I guess) beautiful family.
    -Casey

    ReplyDelete